Monday, June 09, 2008

Is there a cozy island out there?

Man, you would think I had a life with how infrequently I post.

We have been having terrible weather. Tornados, torrential rains, etc. I am pretty sure the world is going to hell in a handbasket. I had a thought of selling everything and moving to an island somewhere.

We got water in our basement. Gallons and gallons of water. We have a low spot in our backyard and it filled up with water. The water backed up right to the wall where we have a crack. While we were upstairs watching a movie, the crack was pouring water like a faucet. The floor drain got clogged and viola shit-tons of water. We have a laminate floor down there and the water is just floating under the floor. We worked for about 5 hours last night vacuuming the water. Duane got smart and is now off to Home Depot to pick up an attachment so you can hook a hose to the shop vac and drain the water outside. There is no way to believe or understand how much water results in just a 1/4 inch of water on the floor. I had gone down there to do some laundry and 1.5 hours later, the basement was flooded.

Also, we went camping this weekend. We had tornado warnings and thunderstorm warnings, but almost all of the weather passed us by. Friday was good, Saturday all day was good and then we got complacent. We didn't look to see that there was a giant storm front coming our way and it was not going to miss us. It started pouring around 10:30pm. We all ran for our respective tents and cars (my mom and dad stayed in a hotel). We had my niece with me and she was scared (I was a little scared too). The tent we had borrowed was leaking a bit. We decided to make a run for it and stay at a hotel. We dropped my niece off with my parents (her brother was there) and then Duane and I went to the Don Q Inn. A little piece of WI kitsch (more later on that).

After being soaked Sunday morning, we didn't think we would get soaked again. At least the rain did eventually stop and the wall stopped pouring water.

1 comment:

serendipity said...

I hope the weather gets better in your part of the world