Thursday, December 01, 2005

You can skip the Indian Lakes Resort in Bloomingdale, IL

Cate has inspired me to post, as it has been awhile for me too.

I am posted from my hexagonal hotel room at the Indian Lakes Resort in Bloomingdale (not to be confused with Bloomington) IL. The hotel website (www.indianlakesresort.com) makes the hotel look really cool, but don't fall for it.

The hotel design was inspired by Franklin Lloyd Wright and actually designed by Don Erickson. The hotel is shaped in a giant hexagon. He wanted to eliminate the stark, non-ending (straight from the information pamphlet) corridors of conventional hotels and the shoebox-like shape of the rooms. Instead of straight and endless corridors, it has twisting and turning endless corridors. The rooms are shaped like hexagons, which does provide you with more room, but also gives you a weirdly shaped ceiling. The lighting is also extremely poor in the rooms. My room faces a strange atrium, so it gets no natural light.

The conference area is also hexagonal and connected to the hotel by a LONG corridor. The corridor has large windows and very little heat. The swimming pool is also miles away from the hotel. I guess that eliminates kids running back and forth in their swimsuits.

They have a mini-bar that can tell if you take anything out of it. If you want a real refrigerator, you have to pay a rental fee.

The whole hotel recently underwent a major renovation. The bathroom has a slate floor. I did a better job of installing my slate floor!

The seminar is actually very good, but this hotel is just strange.

I promise to be a more regular poster!

No comments: