Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Back from Oahu

Unless you really like hot weather, expensive food, traffic, lots of people, worrying about your stuff getting ripped off, shopping at expensive stores, and lots of people--don't go to Oahu.

I did see rainbows almost every day and had some really good food. Being by yourself for 10 hours a day gets rather tiresome, especially when there is no HGTV or FoodTV on the hotel tv.

The flight sucked on the way there and the way back, mostly due to the crappy DC10. I still can't believe that you can have an 8 hour flight where there is no free food, not even a snack! Unfortunately, Northwest has Pepsi products, which I don't like. The flight to Europe should be better, ie not on a crappy DC10.

I think I am going to have to send my blog to more people, although do I want other people I know to read this? Maybe if they will leave comments.

Anyone want to watch a dog or kitty for 18 days? Our dog watcher (who we asked months ago) can no longer watch the dogs or check on the cats while we are in Europe. We leave for Europe in two weeks and are not prepared.

3 comments:

Dr. The Bird Man said...

I am sorry Oahu was sucky. I had a tottally awesome time there, but I had a friend's car at my disposal, so I was able to go exploring the Island. Pearl Harbor, the North Shore, Diamond Head. Oahu on Christmas Eve is the one and only time that I've seen the "Green Flash" of the setting sun. I was drunk.

Carey said...

I am beginning to think that Duane and I are strange in not liking Oahu. I think I had a certain expectation of what Hawaii would be, and Waikiki/Honolulu wasn't it.

Dr. The Bird Man said...

Waikiki and Honolulu are kind of surreal. They really belong on the coast of Mexico near Cancun or something. The real Hawaii to me is enormous mountains, isolated beaches, rainforests, whales, waterfalls, volcanic lava flows, breath taking vistas and sunsets, and beautiful, beautiful birds. I lived out there for 6 months after college and worked on bird conservation in the East Maui Mountains. Next time you go to Hawaii, go the the Big Island or Maui. I think the Big Island is my fav.